Land has a powerful editor that lets you create and customise your routes however you prefer.
Note: Routes can be files in track format (e.g. TRK, GPX) or route format (e.g. RTE). In general, we recommend working with track files because of the accuracy of their trace (more info)
Creating a track
To create a track from scratch:
1. Locate the point where you want to start, right click and select ‘Start new track here’. That will create the first point on the track and open the editing bar.
2. Left-click to add points.
If you make a mistake you can delete the last point with the “Delete point” button, the “Undo” button or by pressing ctrl+Z on the keyboard.
Tip: If you have a routable vector map, you can use the FastTrack tool to add points automatically (+info)
3. When you’re done, close the editor by clicking on the X on the bar or pressing the Esc key on the keyboard.
4. You’ll see your track in the data tree. Don’t forget to save it. Right-click on it and ‘Save’.
Editing a track
An existing track can be edited to suit your needs. There are different editable sections:
- Trace: You can re-open the vector editor, like when you created the track, and use its tools to add, delete or move points.
“Right-click on the track > Edit > Edit track”
- Properties: From the track properties you can change parameters like its name, description or appearance.
“Right-click on the track > Properties”
- Advanced tools: Land has different tools for doing advanced operations on tracks, like “Calculate altitudes”, “Assign speed”, “Invert track” and “Cut track”
“Right-click on the track > Tools”
- Joining tracks: You can join two tracks into one. It’s as simple as “Menu > Tools > Join tracks”more (info)
Working in route format (RTE)
Land also lets you work with route (RTE) format files. The method is very simple to that used for the track format, but instead of working with track points (which lay out the route in detail), it relies on waypoints (which only mark some key places).
- Creating a route: Right-click on the start point and “New > New route here”. In this case the vector editing bar will not open; instead you’ll see a window with the waypoints on the route.
- Editing a route:
- Trace: Right-click > Edit route
- Properties: Right-click > Properties
- Tools: Right-click > Tools